Ms Chowdhury - 1C
Ms Khalid - 1K
PE will be on Monday and Friday.
Book bags need to be brought into school everyday and will be changed every Monday.
What we are learning
This term we are continuing our learning journey of finding things out, discovering, experimenting, creating, building, designing, painting and so much more! Our topic for the summer term is ‘Beautiful or Useful.’ We will use our daily lessons to look at this further.
For the first half of the term we will look at narrative writing (superheroes). This will include;
- Character description
- Setting description
- Descriptive language
- Beginning, middle, end
- Simple and compound sentences
- Element of supernatural powers
The second half term will involve poetry looking at;
- Reading, writing and performing poems
- Compare and contrast
- Experience writing different styles of poems
- Write, edit, publish a series of poems
As well as all this we will continue to look at building and making sentences, writing in sequence (building paragraphs), using personal pronouns, letter formation and our Year 1 spellings.
For the first half of the term we will look at Measurements. This includes;
- Properties of shape
For the second half of the term we will continue looking at the 4 operations including;
- Reviewing addition and subtraction
We will also continue to look at fractions and statistics.
Out topic this first term is ‘Seasonal changes.’ We will;
- Observe and describe how day length varies
- Observe change across four seasons
- Observe and describe weather
- Gather and record data
For the second half term we will look at ‘ Scientist and inventors’. This will involve:
- Describing simple and physical properties of everyday materials
- Describe and compare the structure of a variety of animals
This half term our topic will be ‘A Chair for a Bear.’ This will involve;
- Designing a chair
- Making a chair
- Evaluating our chairs
For the second part of the term we will look at ‘The groovy 70’s.’
- Record, observe and design artwork from the 70’s.
- Describe what they see, think and feel when observing the work of an artist.
- Use paint and canvas to create an art piece.
Our curriculum overviews gives you an idea of which topic your child will be studying at which point during the school year.
Year 1 Common Exception Words
Year 1 Links